Premier Legal Advocates For Your Family

Providing Strong Advocacy Post-Judgement

Last updated on January 7, 2021

While it is true for many people that the final divorce decree ends the long, emotionally charged litigation process; for some, a divorce or paternity judgment may require future court involvement. A number of issues — such as disputes regarding unemancipated children or material changes in circumstances — may justify the need for further legal assistance and/or court intervention.

At McEvoy & Stuntz LLP, we support our clients through a wide range of family law matters, including post-judgment modifications. Our decades of legal and litigation experience provide strong advocacy in your time of need. We are recognized in the community for our compassion and sensitivity to your individual situation and circumstances, and we work to resolve it as quickly and effectively as possible. Let us be your guides and your advocates.

Seeking Modification Of Custody And Parenting Agreements

Under Massachusetts law, parents may request modification of the custody or parenting time arrangement if they can show:

  • It is in the best interests of the child(ren);
  • There has been a material and significant change in circumstances

Examples include evidence indicating that the child(ren)’s needs are not being met under the current parenting plan, the child requires additional time with one parent over the other, or one parent needs to relocate outside the Commonwealth due to economic or other reasons, just to name a few.

Our skilled team of attorneys is well-versed in Massachusetts law and has helped many families complete the process of seeking modification of a court order through a complaint for modification. We will be with you at every step of the way, making sure you understand the process, your rights are protected, and the outcome is in the best interests of your child(ren).

Modifying Child Support And Alimony Orders

Circumstances change and as a result child support and alimony orders may also need to be amended. At McEvoy & Stuntz LLP, we help individuals and families revise child support and alimony orders to ensure the orders are justified and in accordance with the prevailing law given the changed circumstances.

Our team can help you review and collect the documents and financial records needed to seek a modification of a support or alimony order. While our goal will always be to resolve matters amicably and efficiently, we understand that things may not go according to plan, which is why we prepare our cases to proceed to trial if there is no other alternative. We are prepared to advocate on your behalf in a courtroom to ensure you receive the best possible outcome.

Complaints for Contempt

In the event a party is not in compliance with any portion of a court order, including but not limited to the non-payment of child support or alimony, failure of a parent to transfer property pursuant to a property division, failure to abide by a parenting plan, or the non-payment of other expenses, the remedy is to file a Complaint for Contempt. Whether you are filing a Complaint for Contempt or defending against a Complaint for Contempt, we understand the sensitive nature of these cases as well as the need to resolve them quickly and efficiently, which is why we will help you with every step of the process — from filing or defending against the complaint through the entire hearing process. We will use our courtroom experience to ensure your case is fairly adjudicated.

Work With Our Team

Whether you are ready to speak to work with our team or still have questions, we encourage you to contact our Concord office by calling 978-591-5201 or by sending us an email. We are here to help.